Making the decision to have a child is momentous… it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.

Tuesday 10 April 2007

Anyone say 'mood-swings'?

My poor darling husband; having to put up with me for the 4 day Easter break means that he deserves a medal, truly. I have been horrible to live with, bursting into song and dance one minute (often literally) and all sour and quite rude the next.

Apart from that, these past few weekends we told our closest family about our pregnancy. I was quite excited for the most part. Here is how we told them:

My Mum
Mum got told the boring-est way actually. I told her last weekend straight after the positive doctor test. She was lovely and burst into tears right on cue! She has been dying to tell my siblings all week but I wouldn’t let her because one of my sisters was away for the week and I wanted everyone together.

Mr G’s parents
This was too cute, it was my father-in-law’s (‘papa’s’) birthday last Sunday so we wrapped up a baby themed photo frame and put inside a message that a photo was to be inserted in 8 months. It took him a little while to cotton on, but once he did neither he nor my mother-in-law stopped crying all night! We had been about to go out to dinner and papa had been starving, after hearing our news he announced that he was too excited and couldn’t possibly eat!

The best part was that I had been standing ready to snap photos as soon as they realised and I have a brilliant one taken just as the penny sunk.

Mr G’s sister & brother-in-law
This was the hardest because she is quite a lot older than us and has actually been trying for a baby for about 2 years now. We weren’t sure of the best way to go about it, Mr G thought waiting a few months would be best (but I thought it might be hard on her to know she was left out), his parents thought telling her over Easter when she came to Melbourne to visit would be nice (but I thought that it would be far too hard on her to be told face-to-face and then have to sit through dinner with a smile, I thought her parents should break the news to her over the phone a week before she came to Melbourne so that she would have time to prepare, so that is what we did. She was lovely and called her brother straight away to congratulate us. I am sure it must have been hard on her.

When we had dinner with them on Saturday night she was lovely and made a fuss, but her husband (who is really the one that want’s children, she enjoys her current lifestyle far too much and is only TTCing for his sake) made a couple of comments which gave away his true feelings. ‘You guys don’t waste any time do you!’ ‘At least you know your boys can swim!’

My siblings
I waited until Good Friday when all 3 of my siblings were there and then suggested a family photo and that hubby would take the shot. At the crucial ‘say cheese’ moment he instead called out ‘we’re pregnant!’. Again cue a series of priceless photos as my sisters and brother got sparkly eyes and started hugging me madly and exclaiming how they are going to be an aunty/uncle.

2 comments:

Anns said...

Wow - you hit the whole fam!!! That's awesome and I'm happy to hear that everyone is so excited!

Brenda said...

I loved reading this post. And how cool that you got some photos of everyone finding out.

I think you did the right thing telling your sil about it before she came and had to see you.
I hate it when I'm the last person to find out about a pregnancy but I would also rather be told at a time when I can have 5 min to gather myself before having to face everyone.

Hugs
xxx