Making the decision to have a child is momentous… it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.

Wednesday 24 October 2007

Wrong way out

I think my baby thinks that it can somehow find a way out of my belly through the belly button area. It has been constantly trying to kick/punch a hole through there for the last week.

Baby is head down which is good because I doubt there is much room for it to turn around, and has its back on my left side facing my front which I hear is a great position for the birth. I get most of my kicks and ounches on the right side and occasionally a shoulder or elbow on the left.

On the advice of my midwife (backed up with google research) I have started taking Raspberry Leaf Tea. It has a stimulating effect on the uterus and I have definently noticed BH since then (was too sure I was even having any before have the Raspberry Leaf Tea). Here's hoping it reduces my labour time and the need for intervention!

The advice I found on google was this:

In a study carried out in Sydney, Australia, 192 first-time mums were given at random either a 1.2g raspberry leaf tablet or a placebo twice a day from 32 weeks of pregnancy. The herb had no harmful effects on mother or baby, and those women who had taken raspberry leaf tablets were found to have a shorter second stage of labour and a lower rate of forceps delivery (19.3% versus 30.4%). It is believed that raspberry leaf, if taken regularly through pregnancy and labour can:

· Ease the symptoms of morning sickness.
· Sooth and prevent bleeding gums which many pregnant women often experience.
· Relax the smooth muscles of the uterus when it is contracting (Burn & Withell, 1941).
· Assist with the birth of the baby and the placenta.
· Calm cramping of the uterus.
· Provide a rich source of iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium. The magnesium content is especially helpful in strengthening the uterine muscles. Raspberry leaf also contains vitamins B1, B3 and E which are valuable in pregnancy.

Raspberry leaf is also used for the following:
· To aid fertility.
· To promote a plentiful supply of breastmilk.
· To help stop excess bleeding after birth.
· To treat diarrhoea.
· To regulate irregular menstrual cycle and decreases heavy periods.
· To relieve sore throats.
· To reduce fever.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, I'll have to tuck that bit of information away! I can't believe you have a month or so to go! I still have not seen a belly picture!! Hoping everything continues to go well!