Making the decision to have a child is momentous… it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.

Friday 7 September 2007

Whose body is this anyway?

I am falling apart...

My ankles are swollen by the time I get home in the evening (something only sitting for an hour with my legs elevated seems to solve), but worse are these odd red patches that have recently made an appearance of each of my ankles. It is so bizarre, in the evening they are bright red patches of squiggly lines about 5cm round which are not itchy but are prickly and warm to touch. They then get less red by the morning and slowly flare up during the day.

I can't for the life of me think of anything I have been doing differently (other than gaining pregnancy weight and swelling as a result!). Does anyone know what they are???!!! My friend Google doesn't seem to help me on this one.

Other signs that my body is falling apart:
  • I also noticed red spots on my stretch marks (embarrassingly stretch marks are on thighs rather than belly as one would assume) which I have read are common during pregnancy.
  • I wake at night in a hot sweat at about 3 a.m. and have to dry the sweat from between my new found crevices between layers of flesh (mostly between and under my HUGE boobs!). It is a new experience to me as Melbourne is really mild weather all year round and I have never had a problem like this even in Summer, I have taken advice from people living in more tropical environments and apply talc which does help somewhat.
  • My wrists have become fat. No one agrees with me, but I can notice the difference. I hate it.

However, there have been some benefits to my body caused by pregnancy changes:

  • I love my cleavage. Not so fond of my boobs when bra is off (veins and huge nipples), but they look great in clothes!
  • I have gone from using countless expensive face care products to... sorbolene! During my first trimester when I felt like crap it was all I could do to wash my face with soap and then use sorbolene whenever it felt 'squeaky'. My skin has become used to it and now looks great and blemish free with little care needed!

On the whole, I think my body is worse off than pre-pregnancy, however, I am sure the little life inside me is better off for all the changes to little old me.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I think pregnant women are one of the most beautiful things on this earth! No matter how crappy they might feel, I still think they are a walking miracle.

Emmakirst said...

I have no idea what the patches of redness is, I have never seen or heard of it. I would definately ask next Dr. appt. I'm sure you'll be going again soon. What annoys me most these days is the huge boobs I have and how they are constantly itching!!!