Making the decision to have a child is momentous… it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.

Thursday 14 June 2007

9 month panic attack

(title stolen from article on 'the opposite of knocked-up' blog)

I had quite a major freak out yesterday. I have been feeling unwell (not unlike morning sickness - but that 'stopped' a few weeks ago) for the last few days and woke up to get breakfast yesterday and had only just made it to the kitchen before I was doubled over in pain.

I sometimes get pain when I need to use the bathroom, and since I have been so 'blocked up' lately I assumed I just needed to have a 'number 2'. So I proceeded to the bathroom where the pain continued and I stared thinking about all the horrible things that could be causing the pain. Of course my biggest concern was Pudding's well being.

Bring on the panic attack!

I am not a stranger to being called 'highly strung', 'type A personality, etc, etc. I am also easily talked into physical symptoms I read about (I have even convinced myself that I was having a heart attack after the new 'how to know when you are having a heart attack' commercials were first released - how's that for highly strung hypochondriac behaviour?!)

So sitting there on the loo, stressing over my baby and I started to get all hot and had to tear my clothing off straight away, I started to get dizzy and my hearing started dimming (this happens right before I faint normally). I was a sight for sore eyes by the time my husband arose from his peaceful slumber to attend to my calls for help. 'Honey, I think I am very unwell'

Anyway, by the time my husband calmed me down and I managed to use the bathroom (in front of him for the first time after 5 years of living together! Yuck!), the pain started to subside, as did my panic attack.

So all of that fuss over a bowel movement!

I did ofcourse take the day of work, which wasn't entirely through laziness - the pain took a while to go away entirely and I thought it best to see my doctor (despite it being a 40 minute drive each way).

Of course I knew the doctor couldn't do anything for me, she had a feel around and said not to worry - offered me a referral for ultrasound if I really wanted it (which I really did want but felt a bit silly going for another one) and I insisted she take my blood pressure since I'd made the big trek out there (which is a little silly as my blood pressure is normally 'low' and throughout pregnancy has only risen to 'normal').

Hense the title, I think this 9 months will end up being my longest panic attack to date!

14weeks 3 days

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I don't blame you for going into panic. It does give you a fright when your pg and things seem to be feeling funny. I would have had the u/s. Not because i think something was wrong. But I loved having them.

Remember to go to the dr when ever you need to. thats what they are getting paid for. better to go and it be nothing than not go and it be something.

Hugs
xxx

Melissa said...

Glad that your pain didn't turn out to be anything serious. I can completely relate to the mental snowballing of symptoms. In the past few months I was convinced (on seperate occasions) that I had a blood clot in my leg that would surely kill me and a brain aneurysm! Of course, they were just random pains but at the time I was seriously freaked out!