Making the decision to have a child is momentous… it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.

Thursday 17 May 2007

I am in love...

and my husband is in love, we are both so in love with our baby!

We had an ultrasound on Monday (the doctor recommended it after the slight spotting episode) and it was even more incredible than the first one we had back at 6 weeks. This time, rather than a little spot on a screen with a little flickering area (the heart) we could make out (with help from the nurse) the head, body and arm and leg buds!

We could also see the heart beating (175bpm - does this sounds too fast to you? The nurse said it was normal) and Pudding was waving its little arm and leg buds around at us. Hi Mum, Hi Dad, it's me in here!

It is one thing to see in books and on the internet what your baby looks like at this stage of development - it is another thing entirely to see your baby at this stage of development. It was beautiful.

Pudding was measuring perfectly - 10 weeks 2 days on Monday - it was just such a relief and an amazing experience. I can't wait for my next scan (I am booked in for week 19 - how do you expect me to wait that long before getting the high of seeing my little one growing and moving?).

I now sort of wish we opted for the 10-12 week Down's screening - we decided not to go through with it because we are not high risk and I looked at the statistics - 1 in 25 get a 'high risk' result, but in my age group only 1 in 10,000 have the actual risk, I would just be stressing myself out for something that is unlikely. In addition, our personal preference would be to continue with the pregnancy regardless, so the point is mute. The only reason I sort of wish we decided to do it is so that I can see Pudding again before the 19 week mark!

2 comments:

Emmakirst said...

I'm so happy for you that you got to see pudding again, I am convinced you are having a girl, with the fast heartrate and all. That's perfectly normal too for how far along we are, my baby at 10wk4days was 162. I'm lucky my OB does a scan at each visit so only 3 1/2 more weeks to see baby again. I am totally addicted to them too.

Brenda said...

Im just really glad your both in love with your baby because its a little late to not be!!! lol

The heart rate is fine. There is such a huge difference in scale. Some only have rates of 120 and others 180. its all normal.

Glad the bleeding is sorted.

We never got a choice about the 12 weeks scan. Most private Obs make you have them and with IVF you just have them as well.

Hugs
xxx